Museum Fellowship: Call for Applications
India Foundation for the Arts in Collaboration with the
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya
invite applications for
Application deadline: January 20, 2013
India Foundation for the Arts (IFA) in collaboration with the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (CSMVS) invites applications for the Museum Fellowship, an initiative to support emerging curators to develop innovative curatorial models for public engagement using museum objects, their art historical, aesthetic, technological and material content. This particular fellowship is intended to develop the curatorial content for a mobile exhibition of museum artifacts, to be delivered using a specially designed bus.
The Museum Fellowship has been initiated with the two-fold objective of energising museum and alternative audience spaces and providing emerging curators with an opportunity to generate new critical and creative approaches to public engagement.
In the coming months, CSMVS will be launching its Museum on Wheels (a specially designed bus) as part of a commitment to bringing its collection to diverse audiences across Maharashtra's towns and villages. We are seeking an emerging curator to collaborate with CSMVS in curating a travelling exhibition for the Museum on Wheels and developing a public engagement program which might include conversations, story-telling, art and theatre workshops, or other participatory events.
During the fellowship period the fellow will be required to:
- Devise creative modes of engagement with a diverse range of audiences across Maharashtra;
- Chart out one or more routes for the travelling collection;
- Study the demographics and social and cultural contexts of the towns and villages through which the Museum on Wheels might travel;
- Work in collaboration with the designer of the bus as well as with the concerned curators at CSMVS in putting together one or more travelling exhibitions.
- Share their research by way of presentations with the public, or with the media, as advised by IFA and CSMVS; and
- Be in residence in Mumbai and commit to the time required for this project.
The fellowship will be awarded for a duration of 6 months, commencing March 2013 at the latest.
Application Process and Important Dates
- Electronic copies of a draft proposal to be emailed to IFA by 31st December 2012.
- Applicants will be short-listed on the basis of draft proposals, and will be informed by 5 January 2013.
- Electronic copies of the final proposal to be emailed to IFA by 20th January 2013.
- Applicants short-listed for interview are requested to make themselves available for a presentation and discussion at CSMVS, Mumbai between 4-8 February 2013.
To apply, please email a draft proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st December 2012 describing:
a) Your existing practice and your concerns and interests as an artist, researcher or curator;
b) Your project idea with reference to the identified CSMVS collections;
c) The proposed methodology of your engagement with sector experts, designers, curators, other related CSMVS and IFA personnel
d) The proposed outcome of your project and how you imagine this outcome will contribute new modes of public engagement;
e) Work plan for the duration of the fellowship;
f) Your curriculum vitae including up-to-date contact details.
Applicants are urged to visit CSMVS to familiarize themselves with the museum’s collection before drafting proposals.
- Applications are welcome from curators, artists, art historians or researchers with previous curatorial experience or relevant training or experience.
- Applicants are required to be fluent in Marathi, and should be able and willing to undertake any travel required for the project.
- Persons who are Indian nationals or have been resident in India for at least five years are eligible to apply.
- The fellow will get an honorarium of Rs. 25,000 per month for the six-month duration of the fellowship;
- The fellow will be covered for personal insurance up to a maximum of Rs. 5,000 for the duration of the fellowship;
- Project-related field work travel, boarding and lodging costs up to a maximum of Rs. 50,000 will be reimbursed against receipts;
- An adequately equipped workspace at CSMVS, Mumbai and at the concerned designers studio will be provided to the fellow;
- The cost of putting together the exhibition will be covered by CSMVS. The fellow is expected to draw up a reasonable budget midway through the fellowship period, which must be presented to the Director General of CSMVS for approval;
- Applicants are responsible for the delivery of the proposal and supporting material to IFA by the closing date. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Proposals may be written in Marathi, Hindi or English. Please specify ‘Museum Fellowship’ as the subject of your email.
Please address your application or any queries to email@example.com or write to:
India Foundation for the Arts, 'Apurva'
Ground Floor, No 259, 4th Cross,
Raj Mahal Vilas 2nd Stage, 2nd Block,
Phone: 080-2341 4681 / 82